Today i made this pavakai pitlai. kids also enjoyed it.
Here is the recipe.
pavakkai/bitter guard - 1/4 kg.
Dhaniya seeds - 1 spoon
urad dhal - 1 spoon,
chana dhal - 1 spoon,
red chilles - 4
Grated coconut - 2 teaspoon
turmarind - small lemon size (soaked)
salt, turmeric to taste.
For tadka : kadugu, curry leafs, oil 1 spoon
Cooked tuvar dhal - 1 cup
1. slice the bitter guard and remove the seeds.
2. Take a kadai and fry red chillies, dhaniya,
urad dhal and chana dhal. Allow it to cool and
grind it to the paste along with coconut and keep aside.
3. Take a kadai heat oil and make tadka, fry the
pavakai. Add turmeric powder and salt and fry for a
4. Now add the tamarind juice and allow the pavakai to
cook in that water.
5. Now add the coconut paste and allow it to boil.
6. Then add the smashed and cooked tuar dhal and boil for
pavakkai pitla is ready.